Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Open the Cargo Bay Doors....

Obsessively Listening To:
http://www.ifilm.com/video/2665489

Now for something weird:

I'm not sure what to even make of that thing. I think it definitely goes up there in the HAL scale of weirdo electronic devices that pretty much just freak me out. I mean - I don't want some flashy orb directing my mind. No thanks - I'll pass. Keep to yourself HAL.
History Lesson:
Today in 1969 protestors marched on Washington in a peaceful rally against the Vietnam War. And here we are today...running around in the same circles and feeling self justified for doing so. Why don't we ever learn from history? When will we stop being the world's "superhero" when we're really just the bully in sheep's clothing? Face it - we don't do anything if it's not to help ourselves. No one does. Ugh.


That having been said - I suppose it's really no surprise to me what my "Art of the Day" selection was. I will share it with you though:



I studied this piece in my Art History courses in High School in College. It's a piece by Jheronimus Bosch called The Last Judgement. It's always been haunting to me - and today is no different. There is so much detail - and all of it is pain. Even in the garden there is pain. What does that say about humanity? What do we have to look forward to? This painting shows no heaven except for as a perch from which that all knowing, omnipotent, generic cartoon god sits in judgement. The souls are all in hell - whether it be the hell of shame in the garden, the hell of earth and daily suffering, or the hell of damnation and eternal torment. Not a very hopeful tale I know - but such is my mood this morning.

I was going to try to end on a positive note - but even Calvin and Hobbes seem to be telling me something today:





1 comment:

Jack Kinley said...

Speaking of Hiny Bosch, Carrie Long was in my dream last night! Very weird dream. VERY.